Monday, February 27, 2012

"pin"spiration


Like many of you (I'm sure!) I've been "pin"spired by quite a few things I've seen on Pinterest! Most of the time if there is a lesson of mine that is an original, I'll put a "pin it" button on the bottom of the post, but now, I'm pretty much granting full pinning rights from my blog to Pinterest because I have this handy dandy "permission" pin over there>>>. You can get it, too, if you like your stuff pinned!

One thing that I have done more of lately, however, is watermark my photos that I use in blog posts. I'll never forget the first time I saw one of my students' projects on Pinterest and it had been snatched with no credit given to me (or to my student, I should say!) and had been repinned 57,000 times. Yes, 57,000 times and someone passed my exact photo off as their own....so I've been watermarking more. It's a good idea that you do it, too.

While in Art we're all "borrowing" ideas from one another, from a Master, a children's book, something in nature, or an idea on Pinterest....our artwork belongs to our kids. Make sure you've given yourself credit!

There are a lot of photo editing programs out there that will "batch" watermark your photos for you. For ease at school I prefer to use Picasa, and at home I like Lightroom. If you need help watermarking your photos in either of these programs, leave me a comment with your email and I can email you instructions!

14 comments:

  1. Wow. I can't imagine taking someone's photo and passing it off as my own. So frustrating when you are freely sharing your lessons! BTW, I used your hot dogs and cool cats lesson again this year. My Kindergarten loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. annoying, right?! i'm so glad you used that lesson!...i haven't done it this year. i need to pull that one out of the vault! ha!

      Delete
    2. No billionaire has ever earned a real salary for him, think about it, this is your chance to become what you want to be in life by joining the great Illuminati society and acquiring the power of wealth and fame.
      Sign up today, call / WhatsApp number
      +2348140033827
      Note distance is not a Barrier.

      Delete
  2. i know i have pinned some of your stuff- i hope i did it right-0 i always linked back to your site. we just did cool cats -- my kids loved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, emily! i put the "permission to pin" button on the right so everyone has free reign to PIN, i'm just super-careful to watermark now. i love that lesson, too!

      Delete
  3. Joanna - I would love instructions on how to batch mark my photos in picasa or lightbox. I tried to figure it out on my own....but there must be a better way. Thanks in advance!

    Rina at k6art.com
    k6artsandiego@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also would love instructions! I LOVE your stuff and SO hope I pinned properly!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee
    jubileerae@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya Laurie, I just dedicated a post to you :) Let me know if you need anything else!

      Delete
  5. Give full credit where credit's due!
    I love Pinterest, but one person commented on my student's original artwork implying that it was traced from a coloring book, and that comment kept being repeated as it was pinned!!

    When we use another teacher's original ideas they should be credited properly and fully as well. It's just the right thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ugh, how frustrating! traced from a coloring book?! c'mon! i like to take pics of my kids working, too, which sometimes alleviates the whole "you MUST have helped them" comments i get sometimes! thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your kind offer to us all Joanna!
    I too have tried to watermark my photos but gave up because the process was SO complicated.
    I want to have a blog to sell my nature photos but know they would just be taken if they are not watermarked.
    I find your art so refreshing and your love for your students is a joy! Thanks also in advance.
    Rosanne
    redglasses59@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna, I know I've been finding my stuff pinned all over the place on Pinterest, but I'm overwhelmed by the concept of figuring out how to do the watermark, so I'd love some help for the helpless me! My email is plbrown3@yahoo.com and I really appreciate the info.

    I got really upset when I found people pinning a photo of me and me co-worker on their boards. WHY would they want pics of ordinary looking people they don't even know? I tried to follow it down and asked them all to remove it but it was a royal pain.

    I don't understand the "permission to pin" button. I haven't found anything I CAN'T pin, so what purpose does it actually serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phyl, first to answer your question about the "permission to pin" button...basically it's a "go-ahead" to pin from my page. i suppose it's "pin etiquette"????! now that i'm watermarking everything i'm not worried about people ripping stuff off.

      second, what in the world?! pinning a pic of you and a co-worker? bizarre. i'm also trying to be a good girl and NOT put my students faces on my blog without a release. just trying to cover all the bases here. i'm definitely learning as i go!!!

      third, did you see my newest post yesterday about batch processing? if you still need help, i'll be happy to help you in your watermarking journey!!!! cheers!

      Delete